Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Well, I guess I can call this place a cafe if I'm transported at least 20 years back into the past. The outlook of the place would under no circumstances, allow people to associate with one. I think it should rightfully name itself as Kopitiam Happy Land. Before the readers decide to skip and give this page a miss, I implore you to read beyond.


Camouflaging itself along a row of old shophouses, one could easily bypass it without giving a second look, putting into stereotype a traditional kopitiam with nothing much to offer. The ever-present crowd should catch the attention that something is brewing inside this small, unpretentious joint. This has to be one of the place I will not give it a miss if I'm in the vicinity.

What one shall not miss ... the ice kacang. It just simply taste like heaven, on a hot sunny afternoon. They have all sorts of ice kacangs to choose from, original, chocolate, ice-cream, fruits or special. I like mine with chocolate, and it sure comes covered in thick, creamy chocolate fudge, topped with double shots of red beans and corns. I would go for this over the ice kacang at Taman Pelangi anytime ... although they have their fair share of adorers as well. Rating: 8.5/10.

The other most popular item I saw, on every diner's table is nasi lemak. The nasi is richly flavoured with coconut milk and the fried chicken is succulent with crispy outsides. I even witnessed tourists who were here just for the fried chickens ... no nasi needed. The next most important ingredient to a successful nasi lemak is the sambal and it was quite a letdown, considering the fact both nasi and chicken taste so good. A missing piece to complete the puzzle, what a waste. Rating: 7.5/10



Price: 7.5/10 Service: 6.5/10
Conclusion: There seems to be a whole lot more than the offerings of nasi lemak and ice kacang. They still have the char kuey tiao, rojak, cendol and diffierent variations of ice kacang which I've yet to savour, and will definitely do so on my next trip. A place which I had initially brushed off, has actually gotten me wanting for more. Recommended.





View Larger Map

Jalan Pinang,
Taman Kota Kulai, 81020
Kulai, Johor, Malaysia

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment