Thursday, June 23, 2011

Truth be told, after having a few below-par encounters with the standard of food in Port Dickson, I'm starting to get skeptical about Jin Men Grill Fish. Afterall, I had to intentionally make a big detour from southern to northern side of Port Dickson just to have a taste of this. I sure hope it's well worth my effort, and things would have been alot easier to plan if they are open for business at least 6 days a week. On the contrary, they are only operating 4 days per week (you did not read it wrongly, they are only open for business from Thursday - Sunday).

You could have easily missed this place because it is so well hidden inside a housing estate, that I am having second thoughts when driving through the front gate as indicated on my GPS. Gives me a feeling I'm trespassing into somebody's housing compound. Just take note of a little signage they place beside the gate.

Grilled otak otak. Taste different from the otaks I've had in Muar and Johor Bahru. The curry powder and spice mix in the otak is not overwhelming, very unlike those you can easily lay your hands on at the mamak stall or market. The closest I can relate to are the ones we usually had in a Thai restaurant, with a tinge of lemongrass flavour in it.



The must-order item on the menu is definitely their Grilled Fish w/ Triple Sauce Mix 三味鱼. The fish retains its freshness after the grilling and the different sauce mixes goes well with the fish. I personally likes the garlic/ginger sauce (in the middle). A peculiar choice of adding the fu chow fishballs 福州鱼丸into the mix, not that I'm complaining.



Last on our order is the Grilled Squid. Taste normal and oily, could probably give it a miss.



Food: 7.0/10
Price: 6.0/10
Service: 6.5/10
Conclusion: The food has won numerous accolades and has received wide coverage, as shown on the newspaper cuttings hanging by the walls. Food is above average and so is the bill, but in spite of the steeper-than-usual pricing, I still feel that this is a worth while visit. Would be back on my next trip :)





View Port Dickson 2011 in a larger map

Jalan Ayer Meleleh
Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan

Tel: 06-6474271

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. Hi We are interested in trying the food at Kim Long the old shop not new. Can we know the contact No to check out their opening days and hours. Thank you. Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, you can try reaching them at the below. Enjoy your meal, and don't forget to try out their pi-pa duck and sweet & sour fish ;)

      130, Jalan Senai Utama 5/17, Taman Senai Utama,
      81400 Senai, Johor.
      TEL: (+607)599 1850

      Delete