Monday, February 14, 2011

My uncle is giving the family a Chinese New Year treat. The norm for every year during CNY is the visit to Restaurant Peikin for a pig-out session. It has been going on for many years, something like paying a pilgrimage thingy. His preferred choice is Peikin, can't recall a year which goes by that we didn't go there, not that I am complaining since I love the food over there as well, coupled with reasonable pricing.



This however is my first time, at the new outlet which Peikin has shifted, somewhere located in between Taman Molek and Plentong region (directly opposite the Daiman golf course). They have moved here from their original outlet at Taman Molek, an upgrade from a 3 storey shophouse unit to a huge, sprawling building that looks upmarket. (too bad I didn't had the chance to take a picture of it as I am rushing off to have my dinner..too hungry..haha)

Some CNY decorations outside the dining halls. I should have taken more pictures of the place. It doesn't do much credit to the grandness of the place. Will attempt to capture more of the place on my next visit there soon.

The most important dish during CNY. "Yu Shang". Huat ah ! I somehow find that the carrots/radishes are shredded too coarsely. Personally, I prefer it thinly shredded.

Pan fried cod fish. It's good, but I don't fancy fishy stuffs.

Roasted duck. I love the crispiness of its skin with a thin layer of fats underneath. Nice !

Poached prawns

This is my all time favourite. Pork ribs with sweet and sour sauce that's tender inside and crispy on the outside.

Look at that caramelised sauce and that tender, succulent meat which just falls right off the bone.

Braised tofu.

Chinese pancake. I like it oven baked, rather than deep fried. Oven-baked chinese pancakes are less greasy and have a biscuit-like crust. This is more on the soggy side because its deep fried.


Food: 8/10
Price: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Conclusion: Food is tasty and prices are reasonable as well. A must-try restaurant if you are ever coming to Johor Bahru for a day trip or enroute to Singapore/Kuala Lumpur. They have 4 outlets in Johor Bahru, namely at Taman Sentosa, Taman Sutera, inside Daiman golf course and this branch located directly opposite it. Highly recommended !




Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

1 comment: