Friday, November 23, 2012

When one talks about Thai cuisine in Johor Bahru, there's only a few which surfaces in the head that will stir up my interest (and appetite). I had first hand experiences at restaurants in Taman Molek, Taman Gaya & JB city (*drums roll* yes, it's Carabao) and mind you, they aren't cheap. Affordability is a word one don't come across easily these days, especially in Johor Bahru. Sighh ...

I chanced upon the place couple months back, but am skeptical so it never brought about any second thoughts in me to pay a visit. As things would have it, stingy me spotted Groupon offering a deal at only RM25 for a fine Thai dining experience at Tera Thai. I jumped at the opportunity for a go at it, wonder how it will be ?



Entrance to the restaurant - exquisitely decorated with bits and pieces of Oriental flavor.





Cozy, warm lighting to get one into the mood (for some Thai indulgence).



Intricate piece of carving on the ceiling wall.



In eager anticipation to the start of my 1st Thai fine dining experience. "I want food ... I want food..." chants my stomach.



Som tam (Hot and spicy mango salad) - On a whole, there's nothing to pick on the appetizer. It's sour, it's spicy, and comes with mango as advertised, so what is there to disapprove ? Except that I probably wouldn't pay RM7.90 for it. Not that it's bad, but it just isn't my bowl of salad.
Rating: 6.5/10.0



Khao phad talay (Fried rice with seafood) - Comes with generous servings of seafood comprising mussels, calamari, fish and prawns. Fried rice was a wee bland and lacking in all departments.
Rating: 7.0/10.0



Kuey teow kua gai (Stir fried kuey teow with eggs/minced meat) - An average serving of fried kuey teow with pieces of chunky chicken that doesn't titillate my tastebuds.
Rating: 6.5/10.0



Price: 6.5/10
Service: 8.0/10
Conclusion: A truly upmarket experience accentuated by the warm lighting & tastefully done decorations.  I love the setup at Tera Thai very much, offering one the privacy when required, with veils to segregate tables apart. Ambience apart, the food has some way to go before it can be in for some serious competitions.



View Larger Map

31, Jalan Abdul Samad
Johor Bahru 80100

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

7 comments:

  1. stxpid review. Tera Thai's food is way better than Carabao, Siam House, etc. Correct your taste buds before giving any review which will mislead others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      Thank you for the feedback as well :) Taste bud is a very subjective matter and I do not seek 100% agreement with the masses. This is my blog and I am entitled to provide any feedback which I deemed isn't against my conscience.
      If you feel any article of mine is against your opinion, please look elsewhere for food reviews.

      I only welcome sincere, constructive and polite feedback. I hope by now you know yours isn't in my welcome list :)

      Delete
  2. I agree that Terra Thai food is tasty. However the Groupon for 4 pax portion is too little (comes in small bowl) and more suited for 2 paxs. Pictures in Groupon very misleading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased Groupons too. I agree the portion is too little. After dining, you still feel you've not eaten yet. Also, the lightings are too dark, it seems somewhat eerie , like a Malay ghost story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that was an interesting feedback regarding the lightings. On the contrary, I felt it's actually quite cosy and would revisit it again (only if I purchase a Groupon). Coincidentally, there IS one ongoing at the moment so anybody yet to try, can give it a shot

    http://www.groupon.my/deals/johor/tera-thai-fine-dine-restaurant/717907751/.49ohJX?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=raf&RAF=RFO_CPY_USRCLK

    ReplyDelete
  5. seems like everybody complaining about the portion. i saw the groupon voucher, seems like a good place to bring my parents to meet my GF... but too small portion is no good... can recommend any good place to eat with privacy in JB area? Halal one please. Oh and not so cut throat price if possible =_=

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi. i enjoy reading ur blog. thankyu very for the effort. but pics on some of the listings ain't showing. like tis one, totally not a single pic shows up at all.

    ReplyDelete