Saturday, March 24, 2012

I kid you not, recently dessert shops have been sprouting out around Mount Austin area. Drive along the main road heading towards Setia Indah from Sultanah Aminah Hospital (besides Jusco Tebrau City) and a tally easily brings the count to at least 5. I reckon the students at Sunway College contributes a part to it as well, accelerating the liveliness and prosperity of this area.

Blackball originates from Taiwan and boast a record of 20 chain outlets in Taipei, and counting. Their specialty seems to be the grass jelly aka 仙草 and taro balls 芋圆. Seems like a fellow Malaysian dessert lover managed to get the franchise over into Malaysia and has been on the rise ever since, with the numerous outlets scattered around Peninsula Malaysia.




This is my favourite Blackball Specialty Dessert, a combination of grass jelly, taro balls, red beans, sweet potato cubes and pearl jelly. Sets me back on RM6.50 per bowl, much more reasonable pricing than some of the others down the streets. No wonder they are enjoying a bustling business. 
Rating: 8.0



One can enjoy it plain or top it off with some evaporated milk. In my opinion, the creaminess from the milk makes it that much smoother but eventually, it all boils down to personal preference. I will have mine with milk anytime. The taro balls and pearl jelly will no doubt give your jaws a good workout.




I strongly advise against ordering their drinks though. Grass jelly drink to be precise - All I've gotten was the the drink with no grass jelly in it ! Worst of all, it sets me back RM4.90. It was a rather disappointing experience.
Rating: 4.5/10.0




Price: 7.0/10
Service: 7.0/10
Conclusion: For a health-conscious guy like me and a health conscious freak like my brother, if we are willing to patronise it umpteen times and not get enough of it, surely lends some weight onto its credibility. Definitely worth a visit, after a shopping trip at Jusco Tebrau City. Just about a 10 minutes drive away.






View Larger Map

11-01, Jalan Austin Height 3
Taman Mount Austin 81100
Johor Bahru, Johor
Malaysia

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment